Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Blog name explained


Woman on the Verge of a Nervous Breakfast...

I fell in love with films when I lived in downtown Colorado Springs a few blocks from Colorado College and even fewer blocks to The Flick, a tiny art film theater. It opened my mind to Fassbinder, Wenders, Fellini, Bergman, and Almadovar.

The first Almadovar film I saw was Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown. Besides the excellent tips on making gazpacho, and a heartrendingly handsome and young Antonio Banderas, I fell hard for Spain. One day, I hope to spend a few months touring Spain.

So, I named the blog in honor of the film and in honor of a personal phenomena: before I go to sleep, I review the day, the week, the month, the year...and I see so clearly how life spun out of control: not eating the healthy things at the right time, not getting to bed early enough, not giving my work the attention it deserves, and not giving my leisure time the attention it deserves. Then, just before I melt into Morpheus's arms, I know what to do. I wake up still knowing what to do. And then it starts.

Anxiety frantically pounds at the door. Is my blood glucose normal or too high or too low? Do I exercise now, or get to work? Thousands of ideas are extras in Braveheart's battle scenes. And then breakfast: I could cook an egg, slice up fruit, and toast whole wheat bread. The well-worn habits of the ages overtakes me, and I pour yet another bowl of nutritionally-iffy dry cereal into the bowl. My good intentions of the night before are gone, and I let anxiety in. Away we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment