Monday, April 1, 2013

Suppressing the Inner Brat

We have all been there: crowded supermarket, small child trying to convince the adult hostage that something is cute and worth buying. Adult hostage tells them "No," "Not now," or "That is not good for you." Child dissolves into a tsunami of blubbering, screaming, and--my favorite--kicking.

Cute, cuddly, and sugary does that to a person. A good parent reigns in those impulses. I think my parents did a fine job, but I flew away at 16, and I suspect I was not completely cooked.

I am 52 now, and the chickens with no impulse control have come to roost. I am an awful parent to myself: if I could, I would live in Candyland.

Oh, yeah, and I have type 1 diabetes.

I want this blog to detail my journey of finally growing up:loving myself enough to say no to the recalcitrant child, and yes to the woman I need to be before that heavy, purple velvet curtain draws closed on my final act (with no encores).

No comments:

Post a Comment